Ok, these are the most delicious crispy treats I've ever made. My secret recipe is revealed!!
My husband asked me how I made the creepy crispy treats so chewy, gooey and delicious.. as he was going back for seconds!
So, I may make the best rice crispy treats around (well, I stole the recipe from my mom!! shh) and the secret is BUTTER! So, you can't just melt the butter like most people do when making rice crispy treats. The secret is browning it! It brings out the richness carmel flavoring of the butter which makes my (my mom's) crispy treats the best around.
Check out how to create the yummy gummy goodness!
Here's the easy recipe and will take you less than 12 min to make. Did anyone say last minute party food? Well, you can be prepared with this super easy to follow recipe.
***For these crispy treats I used Coco Pebbles instead of Rice Crispy cereal. They already had the dark color I desired and my kids LOVE Coco Pebbles.
- Melt 1 stick of salted butter in a large pot over high heat. Let it brown.
- Once the butter starts to brown add a bag of the small marshmallows.
- Place the lid on the pot and reduce the heat to low/simmer
- Let the marshmallows melt (you can check to see if they've grown in size)
- Once the marshmallows are soft and look like they've expanded, you will add 1/2 box of Coco Pebbles.
- Combine ingredients.
- Turn off heat.
- Add about another 1/4 box of the Coco Pebbles.
- If you want super marshmallow-y treats (like I do!) then you shouldn't need to add anymore cereal
- Watch out! The mixture is hot.
- Add the mixture to cupcake molds. *Spray the molds with nonstick spray
- Decorate your Creepy Crispy Treats with Halloween sprinkles available at Michaels.com
- Let cool for 10 min in the fridge.
- Serve and ENJOY! So dense and gooey!!