When the holidays roll around, I crave all things festive. Just imagine the smell of warm gingerbread cookies in the oven! Then, match that with frozen pumpkin flavored ice-cream. It's just a perfect combination. Don't you think!!?!
The kids just love helping in the kitchen and so they were excited when I asked them to help me make dessert. I cooled the cookies for only a few minutes so they were still nice and toasty. Then we scooped out the frosty pumpkin ice cream and topped it off with another warm cookie.
The combination is dreamy!
Here's how we made it:
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Extra Sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Roll into 1-1/2-in. balls, then roll in sugar. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° until puffy and lightly browned, 10-12 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Then, let the cookies cool for about 5-10min.
Let the kids scoop the pumpkin ice-cream or gelato onto the bottom of one cookie. Then have them place another cookie on top. And ENJOY!
*Tip- If ice-cream is starting to melt quickly, place back into freezer for a few minutes.