2016 was a very busy year for me and my family... We sold a home, bought a new home, did major renovations and a move and that's all while caring for the new baby, Brent who turned 1 this year, and raising our older two children; Brinkley, who turned 6 and started 1st grade and Brycen, who turned 8 and started 3rd grade.
I'm looking forward to 2017, to start a new year with my husband and three amazing children and settling into our new home. I know it's going to be a good one!
This year, I want to focus on my health. I have met so many fantastic women over the years and here is how they are inspiring me. Hopefully they will inspire you too! Cheers to health and happiness in the New Year!
It starts here. . . having the tools to make things happen. Here are 10 ways you can make a change this year.
1. "Look Good, Feel Good"... Well, it's true. If you look good, you feel good, you do good and so on! That's why I decided to call my friend and owner of LABL VB, Lindsay. It's a new super chic shop where fashion meets fitness. I haven't bought any new workout clothes since before I was pregnant and I wanted to get some new pieces to inspire me to hit the gym this year! From basics to super trendy, LABL VB has it all! Check out these cute and stylish leggings Lindsay picked for me!
LABL VB is a boutique in Virginia Beach, VA that sells fun, fashionable fitness wear for all lifestyles. Shop the looks on their online boutique www.lablvb.com. I met the owner Lindsay while she was living in NYC. Lindsay's love for fitness and fashion began in NYC while attending her favorite group fitness classes such as Barry’s Bootcamp and Soul Cycle. She moved back to Virginia to be close to her family and she wanted to bring her style back to her hometown with a curated boutique featuring some of her favorite athleisure brands. Some of her favorite brands include: Alo Yoga, Koral, Onzie and Vimmia.
2. Be Prepared- One of my main tricks is that I always lay out my workout clothes before I go to bed if I plan on working out the next day. That way, it's there and ready to go. No excuses. I am lucky enough, that most days, I can totally pull off wearing workout clothes and look normal. But for many of you working in a corporate office or professional atmosphere, you may not be able to swing this relaxed attire. However, if you simply pack the workout clothes in your bag, you'll be much more likely to squeeze in that workout, than if you had to run home and change. Going home to change is the kiss of death. You'll never want to leave that cozy couch after a long day of work or taking care of the kids. Working out in the morning or in-between meetings? Well, you can also do low impact workouts that don't make you super sweaty when you return back to the office. Try pilates, or just a brisk walk. Quick Fact: You can burn approximately 100 calories in a 30 min walk. You'll feel so much better than had you not done anything. I squeeze a couple of quick workouts in per week along with 1 (1hour) class. Check out my post for a quick 5 minute workout!
3. Try Something New- Even if you are on a daily workout regimine or gearing up to start a new fitness journey, trying new classes is a must. Taking classes is a great way to kick start a workout routine, sometimes all you need is a fun class to get you motivated. You can do things you never thought you could. I don't have much time to squeeze in workout classes but when one of my local mom friends and fitness buff, Blake from Ready Go Fit Club, told me about this rowing class called Current, I knew I had to try it. Maybe this is my new thing?!! Quick fact: Rowing burns up to 840 calories per hour. It was so fun, it didn't even feel like we were working out. The class was pumping with the best music and dim candle light. I felt so great after and am excited to do it again. This definitely motivated me to go outside my normal workouts. Trust me, working out can be fun!
Current is currently having a huge promotion in January.. Check them out online! www.currentfitness.com
4. Make Dietary Changes - We all probably feel a little bloated after all the holiday festivities. Well, my friend, Manya Williams can help you with all your dietary needs. Are you ready for a change? Manya is a nutritional educator and private chef. We met a few years ago when our boys were little. I remember always going to Manya for her fresh pressed juices. They were an amazing blend of seasonal fruits and veggies and helped get my nutrition and body back on track. Manya worked with me one-on-one to find out what my body needed and didn't need. Today, Manya is creating customized menu planning to help with your specific symptoms to "lead you toward your most radiant state of well being." "We don't just give you a quick fix and send you on your way - We show you how to live a healthy, happier, more positive life and hold your hand through the whole journey."
Manya's passion is working with women who have tried everything to change their habits and get "on track". She brings with her over 15 years of knowledge about sattvic living (life in harmony) and helps modern women reconnect with their own inner wisdom through personalized Ayurvedic health counseling, guided seasonal detoxes, and transformational workshops.
These days she finds herself opening minds one good meal at a time.
Check out Manya's website ManyaWilliams.com.
Are you a soup addict? Well, Manya is too! Here are some of her favorite winter soup recipes.
Or watch her tutorial on how to Make Your Own Almond Milk... Her secret recipe revealed! DIY/Food
info@http://www.manyawilliams.com or ManyaWilliams.com/contact
5. Fix Common Workout Pains... So you can actually work out! Body aches can totally derail any work out plans. Help your body be ready to hit the gym! I am not an expert but like the rest of us, I suffer from many of these ailments. This is what helps me! But be careful and listen to your body. If something seems off, consult your doctor.
Stiff Neck or Back - Check out these helpful stretches from Self.com
Shin Splints- How to treat the pain from Runner's World
Knee Pain- Try these exercises that actually help with knee pain from Health.com
6. Make a Kickin Playlist- Music can really help boost your workout and keep you motivated. There are studies that show how music can make the workouts more enjoyable. See this post from the NY Times, How Music Might Improve Your Workout. So it's not always fun when you are feeling the burn and may want to quit. We've all been there! But music, whether calm or super intense, can really get you through it. So, try making a playlist with songs that inspire you, make you want to get up and move or are just simply enjoyable for you to listen to. Trust me, music makes all the difference. It can put you in the zone and help you tune out that voice in your head that says "make this stop!"... Here are some of the songs that are on Billboards Beats that Move Your Feet playlist. Some of my favs are:
- The Chainsmokers - Closer
- Sia - The Greatest
- Bruno Mars - 24K Magic
- Justin Timberlake - Can't Stop the Feeling
- Rae Sremmurd - Black Beatles
7. Workout Partner- I know this works! I recently tried Pilates with one of my new momma friends because I thought it would be fun to try. It is a great core workout that is gentle on the body and not super intense compared to some bootcamp classes I've done in the past. I didn't expect to have so much fun working out with a buddy. I knew I liked classes but this was more of a private lesson type class and was really fun and gave us time to ourselves minus our little ones! We set up a day that worked for both of us (although it gets changed and modified weekly!) but we connect with each other and it helps get me to the gym. It's much easer to say to yourself you aren't going to the gym today or you want to skip that class, but when you have a friend joining you and you know she's going to be bummed if you miss it, it really helps give you that little boost. Plus, it's fun once you are there and you feel so much better after. I know it's not easy and it is hard to find time, but doing it with a friend or family member makes all the difference. Interested in reading more about my Pilates Class? Check out my recent post! Fitness/MyNewFitnessObsession...Nina
8. Do a Fun Run- Get some friends or co-workers to do it with you. Not sure what this is? Wikipedia explains it as "a friendly race that involves either road running or cross country running with participants taking part for their own enjoyment rather than competition. A fun run will usually be help to raise funds for charity, with sponsors providing the revenue to cover organizational costs." So get out there and do it! There are specific site's dedicated to just meeting up for a run and having fun! Check out this site if you live in NYC. Meetup.com ... however, doing this can be dangerous. Be careful who you run with! Doing this with a friend or group of friends can make it even more fun and safe! There are fun runs all over the country. Find one in your area or try organizing one yourself by putting up a sign in your local gym or fitness studio.
9. Meditation- This word might scare some people. But meditation has many different meanings. Sometimes it's just knowing when it's time to chill. Even a relaxing walk/hike will burn calories and make you feel good. Taking 20 min to just stretch and relax your body can be so beneficial to the mind & body. It gives you time to release the daily pressures, be in your own mind and aware of your body. Meditation can also be a time where you lay/sit down comfortably, close your eyes, breathe naturally and focus on your breathe. This can help relieve built up stress and can calm you. Need help starting out? Me too.. Here are some of the best Meditation Apps you can download right to your phone. By HealthLine.com.
10. H2O- Make a splash! Not only is drinking water one of the best things you can do for your body but also working out in the water helps to burn calories and is super low impact. So, if you are one of those people suffering from joint pain and have a hard time hitting the gym or local fitness class, than try some of these amazing water workouts! Quick Fact: Swimming burns around 600 calories per hour. Running in-place in the water, doing squat jumps, bicycling your legs, treading water, are all great calorie burning exercise you can do while in the water. This will all help burn more calories than swimming alone. Try this 20 min routine by Fitness Magazine. Don't have a pool? Live in NYC, well, check out this amazing class at Aquastudiony.com . Find something in your area by asking your local community center or fitness studio for recommendations!
I hope some or all of these tips will help inspire you to feel good and be healthy this year! Cheers to a great 2017.